Wednesday, March 21, 2012

R.I.P. Critical Condition Editor Fred Adelman


UPDATE: As it turns out, Fred is not actually dead. See the comments below for an update, or visit this interesting discussion thread over at AV Maniacs.

It's taken me a while to get back to updating this blog, but I didn't want to let any more time pass without noting that Fred Adelman, a friend of the site and longtime editor of the 'zine Critical Condition and its Web incarnation, died back in December.

I never met Fred personally, but I spoke to him online several time, bought the digital version of his jaw-dropping collection of VHS cover and newspaper admat scans, and he graciously gave me permission to use the images here and in the upcoming regional horror films book.

He was an opinionated and often cranky contributor to a number of message boards, but his informed opinions and bottomless knowledge of obscure cinematic trivia were always a welcome part of the discussion.

According to a close friend of Fred's, who has taken over his Facebook page, the Critical Condition site will remain active, and Fred's massive collection of videotapes and memorabilia should hopefully find a good home soon.

In the meantime, click on over and enjoy one of my favorite parts of Fred's site -- the visual history of 1980s video companies. It's exactly the type of "is it genius or is it madness" compulsive documentation that made Fred such an important figure in this small but fervent corner of fandom.

3 comments:

  1. I do miss Fred. Everytime I sign into Facebook I see his avatar. Still have some messages he sent me saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,
    I'm not going to tell you this myself cos you won't believe me but check this link to Fred Adelman's site. Go to blue post no. 4 from the bottom (on the right).

    http://www.critcononline.com/emails_page_3.htm

    It's quite extraordinary to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you can see above, it turns out that Fred ain't dead. Which is good, but weird, news.

    ReplyDelete